Entering FY’2017-18 with a bang, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. (HMSI) today announced that it has extended its market leadership. After being the most preferred brand in the progressive states of Maharashtra, Kerala, Gujarat, Karnataka etc, Honda is now the NEW Number One Selling brand in Tamil Nadu as well. Interesting to note, that Tamil Nadu is the third biggest market by total volumes and the second biggest market when it comes to automatic scooter sales across India.
- Honda is the NEW NO. 1 selling two-wheeler brand in Tamil Nadu
- Honda sales grow by 34% which is much faster than 2% growth of TN industry
- With Highest ever market share of 35%, Now one in every 3 customers is buying a Honda two-wheeler in TN
- Sharing how the biggest strategy shift in Honda’s business direction will be executed on ground,
Mr. Minoru Kato – President & CEO, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. announced,
“I thank our valued customers who have made Honda the Most preferred brand in Tamil Nadu. 2017-18 is definitely the most challenging year for Honda 2Wheelers India till now. India operation is already the No. 1 contributor to Honda’s global two-wheeler business. This year we are aiming 6.0 million units with 20% growth over the large existing base. Undoubtedly, our aggressive plans for key states including Tamil Nadu will play an important role in contributing to this growth of Honda in India.”
Honda 2Wheelers India goes closer to Tamil Nadu customers through NEW Zonal Office!
Re-aligning with Honda’s vision to expand its reach in India through its ‘closer to market’ approach, Honda 2Wheelers India today inaugurated its new Zonal office in Coimbatore. This is Honda’s next strategic step towards regional consolidation starting from top demand centres across India.
The new Zonal Office in Coimbatore is Honda’s 2nd Zonal office in Tamil Nadu after Chennai. Tamil Nadu is the only state in south region where Honda has 2 zonal offices. As we expand our footprints here, Honda aims to serve new customers with speed. Operating closer to the market supports our endeavor to enhance Customer engagement & experience with Brand Honda. The state of art Honda service training center will ensure technical updates & new product trainings to our network staff in local language.
Honda Scooterizes Tamil Nadu like never before!
Elaborating on how Honda’s becoming No. 1 brand in Tamil Nadu is part of a bigger paradigm shift in customer preferences, Mr. Yadvinder Singh Guleria, Senior Vice President – Sales & Marketing, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. said, “Within regions, the more progressive South and West regions are today leading the scooterization of India. As the second largest scooter market in India, Tamil Nadu is clearly a trend-setting state. There is a dramatic evolution of two-wheeler industry in Tamil Nadu. Now nearly every 2nd customer chooses to ride home on a scooter. Mopeds which always had a stronghold in Tamil Nadu have seen a sharp drop in contribution every year. Now only 1 in 10 two-wheelers sold in the state is moped.”
Honda transforms 2wheeler industry of Tamil Nadu in 10 years
- Across India, the pace of scooterization is faster in South and West region compared to All India average. Within the Southern region, Tamil Nadu is one state wherein scooter penetration is almost reaching 50% level.
- Tamil Nadu is India’s Second biggest scooter market
- Better road infrastructure, women entering workforce, high convenience, advanced technology and co-usage is acting as tailwind for increased demand for Honda scooters
Backed by scooterization tailwind, Honda’s market share has grown 7 times to 35% in April 2017 from only 5% a decade ago.
- Rise of scooters -> Automatic scooters have overtaken both 110cc motorcycles and mopeds as the No.1 choice of customers in Tamil Nadu. Scooter contribution to TN industry has increased from 11% to 45%
- Customers demand evolution in a decade-> 110cc motorcycles & mopeds combined contribution to TN industry sharply has declined to less than half (from70% a decade ago to 30% now).
As a responsible manufacturer, Honda is putting people first. Skilled safety instructors at Honda’s 11th traffic park at Coimbatore (inaugurated earlier in January 2017) are actively promoting road safety on daily basis and have already has educated over 14,000+ people in 5 months. Additionally, Honda today inaugurated a Special Summer Camp educate young minds on road safety in Coimbatore city through fun practical and theory